- 1 Breeding history of the variety
- 2 Description of onion variety Radar
- 3 Variety characteristics
- 4 Planting and caring for winter onions Radar
- 5 Harvesting and storage
- 6 Onion breeding methods
- 7 Diseases and pests, methods of control and prevention
- 8 Conclusion
- 9 Testimonials
Onions are a popular vegetable crop grown throughout Russia. It is planted in the spring and before winter. Anyone who wants to grow a rich harvest of onions on their homesteads chooses hybrid varieties. Onion Radar is a godsend for gardeners. Winter hybrid high-yielding, unpretentious in care, medium early ripening. When properly planted and cared for, the first bulbs appear in early June.
Breeding history of the variety
The high-yielding cold-resistant Radar was cultivated by Dutch scientists about 20 years ago. Through painstaking work and lengthy experiments, a round, dense bulb of regular shape with a golden husk was obtained.
Description of onion variety Radar
Winter Radar belongs to mid-season hybrids. From the moment of planting the seed to the harvest, no more than 9 months pass.
Description of winter onion Radar
According to gardeners, the Radar winter onion forms a dense, large, slightly flattened head. The vegetable produces shiny, juicy, dark olive leaves. With proper care, head sizes can be up to 200 to 500 g.
Strong and dry golden scales keep the bulb from frost. In the absence of snow cover, the variety can tolerate temperatures down to -15 degrees. In regions with snowy winters, the bulb winters well at a temperature of -25 degrees.
In addition, the variety does not shoot and is stored for a long time. After planting Radar onions before winter, the feather greens can be cut at the end of May, and the first large onions can be dug up in mid-June.
Onion Sevok Radar: description
To get a rich harvest, first of all, choose the right seed plant. It should not have mechanical damage, should be dense and healthy, painted in a bright golden color, with a diameter of at least 1 cm.
After reviewing the description and photo of the Radar onion, we can safely say that the characteristics of the variety are high. But such indicators can only be achieved with proper care and planting.
Winter onion Sevok Rada is a high-yielding variety. The weight of the head is 150-500 g. The yield increases when the variety is grown in favorable conditions and in regions with snowy winters.
Variety Radar - medium ripening. When planted before winter, the crop appears after 250 days.
Disease and pest resistance
The variety is resistant to many diseases and pests. But if the rules of care are not followed on the podzimny onion Radar, onion fly and peronosporosis may appear. In order to prevent the appearance of diseases, it is necessary to regularly carry out preventive spraying, observe crop rotation and not plant onions on one bed for more than 2 years.
It should not be grown after bulbous and legumes, potatoes, carrots and celery. The best predecessors are:
- cereals other than oats.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
Before you buy Radar winter onion, you need to familiarize yourself with the description of the variety and know all the positive and negative qualities.
The pluses include:
- powerful root system;
- thin, golden scales;
- long-term storage;
- taste qualities;
- early ripening;
- undemanding to planting and care;
- lack of arrows;
- 100% seed germination;
- frost resistance;
- resistance to diseases and pests.
The disadvantage of most summer residents is low productivity indicators in comparison with spring plantings.
Planting and caring for winter onions Radar
Planting winter onions Radar is carried out subject to simple rules. These are the timing of planting, digging the beds and preparing the planting material.
Onion planting dates
Sevok can be planted throughout October. The term is determined by climatic conditions and the region of growth:
- In the North-West region, sevok is planted in early October.
- In the suburbs - in mid-October.
- In the Volgograd region, the Radar can be landed in early November.
When to plant onions Radar before winter
For high yields, experienced gardeners familiarize themselves with the lunar calendar. In the full moon phase, Radar onions are not planted.
Weather conditions are also an essential factor for growth and development. If warming is not expected, and frosts do not appear in the near future, then you can start planting Radar onions before winter.
Planting onions before winter, video:
Planting dates for winter onions Radar in Siberia
The harsh Siberian weather causes a lot of trouble for gardeners. Many of them hesitate to plant winter onions in their backyards. But due to its cold resistance, Radar is ideal for local cold and snowy climates.
To harvest an early harvest, seedlings are planted in mid-October, early November.
Preparing the beds
The yield depends on the right place. The beds are made in an open, level, lighted place without drafts. It is ineffective to grow seedlings in a lowland, since with the arrival of warming, the beds will be in the water, which will lead to the death of the crop.
The beds are prepared in advance, one month before disembarkation. After digging, the soil is fed with complex mineral fertilizers and disinfected with a copper-containing solution. For top dressing, it is better to use wood ash, humus or rotted compost. Fertilizing the soil with fresh manure is not recommended, as the plant will build up a green mass and make the bulb loose. Such a vegetable is not subject to long-term storage.
Due to its unpretentiousness, the variety can be planted in any soil.
Bow Planting Radar
The variety does not require much maintenance. To obtain a rich harvest, care and adherence to simple rules are necessary:
- Onion sets Radar are planted in rows, to a depth of 4 cm, so that the neck deepens by 2-3 cm. The interval between the bulbs should be 10 cm, and between the rows 20 cm.
- When using shallow seedlings, the depth should be 2-3 cm, when planting large specimens - 3-4 cm.
- To have a high yield, planting is best done in a checkerboard pattern.
- The planting material is covered with soil and mulched. No watering is required after planting.
- Dry leaves, straw, humus, tops or spruce branches are used as mulch.
Growing winter onions Radar
It is easy to grow sevok, and even a novice gardener can handle it. For successful cultivation, you must heed the recommendations of experienced gardeners:
- In the spring, mulch is removed from the garden so that the soil does not overheat.
- Watering is carried out as needed, after which the soil is loosened and weeds are removed.
- The first feeding with ash is carried out immediately after the snow melts.
- The second feeding is carried out after the appearance of foliage. For this, growth stimulants and immunomodulators are used.
- Preventive measures against diseases and pests are carried out every two weeks. For this, the plant is treated with fungicides or copper oxychloride.If the air humidity is increased, the treatment is carried out every 7 days.
Mistakes that gardeners make when growing Radar onions:
- wrong planting date - winter onions germinate in April;
- with an incorrectly chosen place and abundant watering, the bulbs rot;
- the bulb does not germinate if the planting depth is more than 10 cm.
Harvesting and storage
The growing season for the Radar onion is 250 days. The crop is harvested only after the bulb has formed. The degree of maturity is determined by the loss of elasticity and yellowing of the leaf, as well as after the head is overgrown with light golden scales.
The crop is dug up in dry weather and left for 2-3 days in the open sun to dry. To maintain freshness for a long time, it must dry thoroughly. If harvesting is carried out in damp weather, the crop is washed and peeled. Feathers, roots are cut and removed to dry in a well-ventilated area. As soon as the onion neck dries out, it is folded for long-term storage.
How is the Radar bow stored
The collected and dried onions are sorted out, unripe and onions with a thin juicy neck are consumed first, since such onions will not be stored for a long time.
There are several ways to store a vegetable:
- In boxes or bags.
- In women's stockings.
- In a braided braid. The onion scythe will keep its freshness for a long time and will become a decoration of the kitchen.
How to weave an onion braid, video:
Onion breeding methods
The Dutch culture can be grown through seeds. Planting material is sown in August in a prepared, fertilized place. The seeds are sown according to the 1x10 scheme, to a depth of 3 cm. The earth is shed and mulched.
Sevok is harvested in spring, dried and stored. Self-obtained seed can be planted before winter to get an early harvest.
Diseases and pests, methods of control and prevention
As can be seen from the characteristics of the variety, onion sets Radar are immune to many diseases and insect pests. But in order to get a bountiful harvest, one must not allow the addition of common diseases. Onion flies and downy mildew are the main threats to Radar onions.
For treatment, chemical and folk remedies are used:
- Drug treatment Aktar, Fly eater or Carat Zeon.
- Carrots, marigolds, valerian, mint or tomatoes can be planted next to the plant. The smell of these plants repels insects.
- Before planting, process the seedlings in a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
- Observance of crop rotation will help to rid the plant of onion flies.
The disease can be determined by the formation of gray plaque on the foliage. Without treatment, the entire feather is affected and the plant dies. The disease spreads quickly to healthy plants, resulting in lower yields, poor bulb quality and shorter shelf life.
Preventive measures against downy mildew:
- compliance with crop rotation;
- the use of high-quality planting material;
- sevka processing;
- once every 7 days, dusting the soil with wood ash;
- once a month spraying plants with Bordeaux liquid.
Onion Radar is a high-yielding mid-season variety that is suitable for cultivation throughout Russia. Due to its good taste, long-term storage and transportable appearance, the variety has become popular with many gardeners. By planting winter onions in your backyard, you can get an early harvest of fortified vegetables.