Fir bee oil has a disinfectant, anti-inflammatory and stimulating effect. For this reason, apiary owners are increasingly paying attention to this product, using it to treat bee colonies and prevent diseases. It contains biologically active substances.
The use of fir oil in beekeeping
Fir oil is a natural remedy that has a beneficial effect on the physical and chemical properties of the environment and has a positive effect on the health of bees. It purifies the air by neutralizing pollution and also serves as an antiseptic. It is used to treat diseases such as varroatosis and acarapidosis, as well as for feeding. The fresh coniferous aroma characteristic of the composition has a beneficial effect on the general condition of bee colonies, and the medicinal substances released with vapors serve as good means of preventing diseases.
Composition and value
Fir trees grow in the Far East, China, Korea, Mongolia, some European countries and North America. To obtain oil, needles and young shoots of the plant are used. They are steam distilled.
Fir oil is a greenish or yellowish liquid with a pronounced lemon-mint aroma. It contains:
Despite the availability and variety of various drugs on the modern market, essential oils, including fir, are in great demand. This is due to its natural origin and many beneficial properties:
- pain reliever;
When is fir oil used to treat bees
In the Krasnodar Territory, experts conducted a study, the purpose of which was to track how fir oil affects the development of bee colonies, as well as the egg production of queens. Gauze pads soaked with this agent were placed on the top bars of the center frames. We took 1 ml of the substance per street. The procedure was carried out 4 times during April. It turned out that the substance increases the food excitability of the larvae, they grow faster. And the egg production rate of queens increases by an average of 20%. All this leads to the growth of bee colonies, a more intense summer, and an increase in productivity. Insects produce more honey.
Thus, the use of fir oil for bees helps apiary owners to solve several problems at once:
- improve the productivity of bee colonies;
- increase oviposition and brood;
- to increase the resistance of bees to diseases;
- improve performance.
Scientists have found that the effect of fir oil begins to manifest itself after the biologically active components included in its composition begin to enter the bee's respiratory system. In order to prevent diseases, this composition can be enriched with top dressing.
It is better to use a natural composition. It can be distinguished by its characteristic rich smell.
Treatment of bees with fir oil for acarapidosis
Acarapidosis infestation poses a serious threat to the hive. Insects cannot cope with the disease on their own, they need human help. One of the most effective methods of treatment is fir oil treatment.
The causative agent of the disease is the Acarapis woody mite, which lives and multiplies in the respiratory tract of bees, contaminating them with poisonous products and causing hemorrhages. This poisons the body, leads to a lack of oxygen, paralysis of the pectoral muscles, which affects the functioning of the wings.
You can treat acarapidosis with fir oil. The tool solves several tasks:
- destroys ticks;
- relieves inflammation;
- improves the general condition of bees.
It is important for beekeepers that fir oil is safe for bees and helps insects no less effectively than preparations. To carry out the treatment with a folk remedy from fir, perform the following steps:
- The nest is carefully wrapped in polyethylene.
- A small hole, about 1 cm, is left in the lower tap hole.
- The upper notch is covered.
- Take a gauze swab, dipped in fir oil.
- Place it on the central frames, to the upper bars.
- Processing is carried out 3 times, with an interval of 5 days.
Fir oil against varroatosis of bees
Varroatosis is a disease that occurs as a result of infection of individual individuals, and then entire families and apiaries, with varroa mites. These flat brown insects inhabit the bodies of queens, bees and drones. Their food source is hemolymph. In case of serious infestation, ticks can be seen on dead specimens without magnifying devices.
Signs of a disease in bees can be:
- delayed development;
- weak, small bees whose wings can be deformed;
- the appearance of undeveloped pupae in the hive;
- the appearance of brownish plaques in adult insects;
- restless behavior of bee colonies in winter.
Fir oil is effective in treating varroatosis. Its wood, needles and cones contain large quantities of phytoncides. These are natural compounds that have anti-acaricidal properties. In addition, phytoncides are known to play the role of natural antibiotics.
How to treat bees with fir oil is shown in the video.
Rules for processing bees and hives with fir oil
It is necessary to process the hives correctly. Experienced beekeepers act like this:
- The procedure is carried out in the spring, before the first flight. You can focus on the air temperature, it should exceed +15 degrees.
- Bees are treated at least 2 times, at intervals of 8 to 10 days.
- The same procedures are carried out in the autumn. Their number and intervals are similar.
- Another 2-3 treatments are planned for the summer, in the second half of June. At the same time, the air temperature should be kept within the range from +15 to +30 degrees.
- They work in the evening after the return of the flight bees.
- One or more frames are taken out, the rest are carefully pushed apart.
- Cut off the drone brood.
- Paper is placed on the bottom, which is pre-lubricated with petroleum jelly. It is changed every morning. The paper collects parasites falling from the bodies of bees.
- Take parchment, sprinkle with fir oil. Its volume depends on the number of families. Calculate 1-2 ml for each bee colony.
- Turn it over so that the treated layer looks down.
- They put parchment over the stern frames, cover them on top.
- The entrances are closed for several hours. It is important not to forget to open them in time.
- The impregnated sheet is not immediately removed. Its effect continues for another 3 days. At this time, he is placed in a hive.
Fir oil is a folk healing method. But he managed to prove his effectiveness.In large beekeeping farms, it has been used since the 80s of the last century. The method is based on feedback from old, experienced beekeepers on the use of fir oil.
In order to prevent infection with ticks, it is necessary to properly care for them, as well as to take a number of preventive measures. Among them:
- treat the hives with fir oil in the spring and autumn months to increase the immunity of insects;
- place apiaries as far as possible from dirty water bodies and farms where cattle are kept;
- reject honeycombs on time;
- if necessary, immediately carry out analyzes;
- disinfect hives and equipment;
- prepare families for winter.
Fir oil for bees is a natural, proven remedy that helps fight various diseases of bees and serves as a good prophylaxis. It can be combined with chemicals if necessary. An important advantage of the natural composition is its ability to improve insect resistance to negative external factors.